I'll be honest, I hate it when bands give into "fan campaigns". It reeks of spinelessness and I'd rather the band just do what they want.

I was at the UK gig of the Metallica By Request tour last year in Knebs, and aside fom Whiskey in the Jar, no other rarities were played.

It's not spineless to want to make your fans happy. If anything, it's spineless to pretend you're going to, and then not even attempt to follow through with it.

It's not spineless to want to make your fans happy. If anything, it's spineless to pretend you're going to, and then not even attempt to follow through with it.

Yeah but it's another thing to play a song just because some fans will act like their fucking lives are over if they don't hear it.

I wanted to hear Sunburn at both gigs I went to, didn't fucking happen, was glad I even got to see them in the first place.

Playing the two B-sides in 2013 on the stadium tour was something did because they wanted to.

Oh, those weren't really campaigns though, were they? Just the odd gig where a fan would bring a sign requesting a song.

I heard it was part of some campaign but I could be wrong. I do know Muse do play songs from audience signs, my friend was at the Mayan gig and held the PLAY HYPER MUSIC sign up.

Oh, those weren't really campaigns though, were they? Just the odd gig where a fan would bring a sign requesting a song.

I heard it was part of some campaign but I could be wrong. I do know Muse do play songs from audience signs' date=' my friend was at the Mayan gig and held the PLAY HYPER MUSIC sign up.[/quote']

I was at the NY gigs in 2013, with the Dead Star sign success. It wasn't a "campaign" by my definition. More like a bunch of us on Facebook saying "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if they took a request? Let's bring signs to the gig!" So we made them the day of in the queue :LOL: No big drawn out plan, really. But we did talk about it beforehand. :)

Spontaneity, rotated setlists, honestly they're great - for the people that end up on the good end of them.

Muse was pretty much rotating a slot or two on the US TR tour... but some nights got FG, GL, or both (like me) while others got two winners.

They took requests on the T2L tour. But from the first nights, and played them on the second nights.

Some gigs got Sunburn, while others ended up with Feeling Good.

The Mayan got Assassin, while NYC got The Groove.

I guess, the way I look at it, they're not replacing songs like SMBH, Starlight, etc and honestly, it's my own damn fault for watching 100s of bootlegs that I'm sick of those songs in the first place.

Shit, I've only SEEN the band three times. Why should I be tired of seeing KoC live?

What I'd rather have, is the band work in some older songs in with the standards, even if they stick with them every night.

I mean, I'd love for Fury, Assassin, SfA, Showbiz, CE, or any other fan favorites to be staples for the tour.

Play the songs you "have" to play for the masses, but throw the fans a couple of bones, and be consistent. Don't just do it on 2nd nights when you think the crowd "deserves" it or some shit.

I guess, the way I look at it, they're not replacing songs like SMBH, Starlight, etc and honestly, it's my own damn fault for watching 100s of bootlegs that I'm sick of those songs in the first place.

Shit, I've only SEEN the band three times. Why should I be tired of seeing KoC live?

I'd personally never tire of KOC live as it's a ripping live track and it's the song you know won't disappoint when they perform it. But that's probably just me.

And maybe it is indeed just me- my favourite band of all time is Iron Maiden and I've seen hundreds of bootlegs and seen the band 14 times to date, but I know that by their standards we're for sure going to hear Number of the Beast, Fear of the Dark and Iron Maiden. All 3 songs are fucking cracking tracks (FOTD in particular with the crowd chanting. And I don't get tired of them because I both know they're not going to drop a those songs any time soon (though NOTB is arguably more expendable) and because that's going to be a lot of people in that packed arena's first time hearing it live that night.

Same thing goes for Muse. Knights, Map, Time, Supermassive, Stockholm, Uprising- those are undisputably the most recognized Muse songs among the mainstream and not everyone travels to see Muse live- hell some will end up only seeing them once, ever. Muse obviously can't please everyone. I know that's not an argument against spontaniety, but it is a reality and if Muse take comfort in knowing they'll get the crowds worked up with those songs, then good on them. Same way Maiden know the crowd will get worked up from those opening notes to Fear of the Dark/

What I'd rather have, is the band work in some older songs in with the standards, even if they stick with them every night.

I mean, I'd love for Fury, Assassin, SfA, Showbiz, CE, or any other fan favorites to be staples for the tour.

Play the songs you "have" to play for the masses, but throw the fans a couple of bones, and be consistent. Don't just do it on 2nd nights when you think the crowd "deserves" it or some shit.

I'd like to say I agree with you completely- I definitely agree with bringing some older songs back and making them staples. How fucking awesome would hearing Muscle Museum or Thoughts of a Dying Athiest regularly?

Thing is I think last tour they did a great job at eliminating (or at least lessening) the "second night syndrome". Newer songs like Animals showed some longevity in the arena portion of the tour and even became a staple in the stadium tour showing that they're all for making new classics too. Rarities like Yes Please and Agitated becoming regulars was pretty fucking cool too. But as I mentioned earlier, they did that because they wanted to and not for the sake of "throwing the fans a bone". If Muse are going to bring some rarities back, it should be because they wanted to and not because they feel the need to please the fans or because the fans want it. Unless of course they see a fan with "PLAY EXECUTION COMMENTARY" sign and decide it'd be fun. But that's something different. Though we all know they won't play that any sooner than they'll play Falling Away With You.

As Tjet said in another thread,

No need for more rarities imo. 1-2 songs where the crowd goes completely dead is enough for me.

Unless they're gonna go all out and just sing whatever song pleases them and not the fans, in which case I'm all for more crowd killers to save Muse as a live band.

Re: Setlist polls, I find it quite amusing that they ignore those big polls, yet listen to a handful of fans in the front with signs (i.e. Dead Star in Toronto and New York & Micro Cuts in Montreal from their last arena tour, and Hyper Music in LA this tour). :LOL:

I can kind of see why they'd respond to signs or in-person requests because it's much more immediate and/or personal. That whole poll was a cop out. I've never seen it work for any artist - even Tori Amos, who normally plays special requests/covers every night.

Unfortunately very true! Though part of the night 1/night 2 disparity in the Toronto example is again because of the fans with signs.

2nd night had no map and SS, BUT had Feeling Good, and a boring NB. Not sure how much better night 2 was just because of Dead Star being present.

2nd night had no map and SS, BUT had Feeling Good, and a boring NB. Not sure how much better night 2 was just because of Dead Star being present.

I thought the first night looked better to me :)

<Insert comment here about Big Weekend being shite again because it was the first time I saw Muse and they didn't play Dead Star and getting desperate after they played Bliss so I shouted 'DEWAD STWARRR!' and then I think they played Mercy next so that sucked but at least I managed to punch a Hullablaoon>

<Insert comment here about Big Weekend being shite again because it was the first time I saw Muse and they didn't play Dead Star and getting desperate after they played Bliss so I shouted 'DEWAD STWARRR!' and then I think they played Mercy next so that sucked but at least I managed to punch a Hullablaoon>

The forum in a nutshell.

I just want the damn dates to be announced already; I'm tired of stressing out, and I'd just like to be able to start making peace with the fact that I'm going to miss Muse AGAIN for one complete album cycle, because they're going to tour during the holidays. :phu:

:'(

I'm punching myself for not seeing them this summer in Europe. But then I remember it's festivals and so it's not all bad.