The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Soon my effects set-up willbe complete and it will be all I will ever need probably...until I change my mind again :)

Thoughts on this?

Guitar > Boss LS-2 (A+B mix)

(a) Tuner > Crybaby Wah Classic > Micro P.O.G > Nova Delay (Left side) > Boss LS-2 Return A.

(b) EHX Freeze > Pruel Volume Pedal > Nova Delay (Right side) > MXR Phase 90 > Boss LS-2 Return B.'

> Amp (Marshall JVM 410h)

First of all, ideal is the one button to put everything on or off: the LS-2. I can kill either signal paths either with the tuner or the volume pedal in either chain. It also allows me to create a pad with the Freeze pedal and use the volume pedal, delay and phaser to make it more like a pad type sound, with my full signal still going through the other chain so I can vary the intensity of the pad without affecting the signal strength of the other chain.

Also, using different pedal on either side of the Nova Delay gives me a variety of 'weird' delay effects with which I love to experiment.

I also use the Wah-stuck-in-one-position type of sounds sometimes, for variety.

If anyone could, would and is interested in giving advice or ideas on how to set it up differently and why, please do tell!

How much do you sell them for?

Parts were about $45 including shipping. I got these from pedalpartsplus.com

[font="Courier New"]Code   Name                                    Quantity    Price/Ea.        Total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9008   3PDT True-Bypass Footswitch                   2        $3.80         $7.60
6002   Switchcraft 1/4 in. Mono Jack  #11            6        $1.95        $11.70
2007   #24 Solid White Wire per ft.                 12        $0.10         $1.20
1203   4Site 1032L Enclosure (UNFINISHED)            1       $12.95        $12.95
                                             Shipping: UPS Ground:        $12.74
                                                        Sales Tax:         $0.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                            Total:        $46.19[/font]

I might add an OD or booster at the beginning of the chain, though for now I find I have enough options with my JVM 410 head, which also has a l. big muf in the loop. 5 different dirt sound this way! Great suggestion on the feedback loop, though I fail to see use for it in live situations? Though I might just not really get what it's purpose is. Pretty much all the functions I have now can directly be used in a band situation (at least, I can think of uses).

The idea of crossover distortion is on my mind too, blending 2 OD pedals in both chains sounds ace too! maybe an OCD and some Z.VEX box maybe :p

ah sweet cheers, I guess I could just make it myself :LOL:

edit: now looking into putting LEDS in...

this is a good idea, but I'm just going to label mine so I know what's what

as for the fuzz factory thing, to be honest, I don't entirely understand why we still need that rule (it must have been made in 2005 or so) and with all the information available elsewhere...well, zvex requested it...

this is a good idea, but I'm just going to label mine so I know what's what

as for the fuzz factory thing, to be honest, I don't entirely understand why we still need that rule (it must have been made in 2005 or so) and with all the information available elsewhere...well, zvex requested it...

I'm with you on this James, did he actually request it? What authority does he have over us?

I'm with you on this James, did he actually request it? What authority does he have over us?

I believe so. I know he had two accounts on here (THAT'S AGAINST THE RULES!) but he must have made that request to the mods/admins back then. I'll have a look through the posts in the FF thread to see if there's anything

and probably just as much as he has on those DIY pedal sites to be honest...

If you can't find anything I say we drop the rule :p

I checked all of his posts on both accounts, and nothing about it at all.

I don't know really, might be worth asking Kev what happened exactly...it is a bit unnecessary now that there are all these DIY sites which have the information readily available like that

I checked all of his posts on both accounts, and nothing about it at all.

I don't know really, might be worth asking Kev what happened exactly...it is a bit unnecessary now that there are all these DIY sites which have the information readily available like that

Good idea, I'll ask about.

Why bother? The info is there for anybody that wants it, no need to kick up a shitstorm.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

I know but you wouldn't believe the amount of times there has been 'discussion of diy zvex pedal is not allowed' posts needed.

UPDATE: The rule is staying :)

Just in case anyone is interested, I create a bypass pedal that has two separate loops:

- Loop 1: standard 1/4" jacks to connect my pedals

- Loop 2: RCA plugs (white-only...mono) to connect my Korg KP3 (Kaoss Pad)

I used the wiring schematic found here. The only difference is that I wired the "out" from the first 3PDT to the "in" of the second 3PDT.

So, there are four combinations:

1. Both loops off (full bypass)

2. Loop 1 on, Loop 2 off (pedals engaged, KP3 bypassed)

3. Loop 1 off, Lopp 2 on (pedals off, KP3 engaged)

4. Loop 1 and 2 on (pedals engaged, KP3 engaged)

The KP3 should be connected using the RCA jacks (input and output) on the back of the unit. It is better to use these inputs instead of the Mic line in and headphones out. The guitar is mono, so you do not need to hook up both white and red...white only is for mono.

So, instead of needing a Y-cable to split the 1/4" to RCA, I can simply wire the 3PDT to a single RCA jack.

The materials I used:

2x 3PDT True-Bypass Footswitch

4x Switchcraft 1/4 in. Mono Jack #11

1x 4Site 1032L Enclosure (UNFINISHED)

2x Gold RCA Jack Solder Type w/Nut Pair Hex Type - only 1 is really needed, but I wanted two "white" plugs, to avoid confusion

Here are some pictures:

Everything:

Photo2013-01-07102157PM_zps1e2d407c.jpg

Pedal Close-Up:

Photo2013-01-07102206PM-2_zpsc6464001.jpg

Connections:

Photo2013-01-07102212PM_zpsd3ab4ce8.jpg

The two on the left are 1/4" (In and Out), the two on the right are RCA. I am using a cable that has the two cables joined together (typical RCA - red and white). Note that they are BOTH connected to the WHITE terminals (in/out) on the KP3...I just waned to use one cable...so just ignore the red. White only for mono.

Wiring:

Photo2013-01-07102225PM_zps82b18ba1.jpg

Proper tempted to make one of these now :facepalm: But just for the RCA kaoss loop.

Anyone know any good place to get the parts in the uk?

Archived