The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Fuzz Probe -> Whammy sounds amazing on the harmony settings to be honest. Doesn't lose the fuzz at all on those for some reason. Only on the "Whammy" settings. Got a plan involving Fuzz Probe -> Whammy -> Fuzz Factory to try and get the best of all worlds but I need to wait for the MB-1 before I can test it.

As I said, it will change the sound but not because of harmonics. The pedal's frequency response curve will be shifted up but for the ranges we're talking (and given that it's going through a guitar speaker), unless you have a really high Q in the mids somewhere it's not going to make a lot of difference.

I shouldn't post on here after going to the pub!

What I'm trying to get it is the signal the whammy would have to work with would be very different due to the increased harmonic content.

• 2 months later...

So at the moment I've got these in this order:

Tuner > Digitech Whammy > Big Muff > Fuzz Factory

When I've got the money though, I'll be getting:

MXR Phase 90

MXR Micro Amp

Undecided delay pedal

Crybaby Wah

So what would be the best order for all of those put together? I've not had any experience with chains apart from the one I'm currently running.

Right, question for you chedda!

How would you set up:

TC polytune, Woolly Mammoth (clone), Bass Big Muff, Tech 21 VT Bass, Bass OC-2, Digitech Bass Synth wah

my guess would be:

TC Tune -> Woolly Mammoth -> OC-2 -> Big Muff -> VT Bass -> Bass Synth

Suggestions?

Does the TC not have a buffer in it? In which case it probably need to go after the wooly mammoth

Disregarding that for a minute I would probably have OC-2 > VT Bass > Synth > Big Muff

But it totally depends - if you're using your synth pedal for an envelope follower setting you probably don't want to destroy your dynamics before it with a fuzz. Some people do like to do that though. Also if you're after synth tones then putting the OC-2 after fuzz can be cool. Anyway, you have two potential fuzz boxes there so no need to have them both before the synth, have one of them after

So at the moment I've got these in this order:

Tuner > Digitech Whammy > Big Muff > Fuzz Factory

When I've got the money though, I'll be getting:

MXR Phase 90

MXR Micro Amp

Undecided delay pedal

Crybaby Wah

So what would be the best order for all of those put together? I've not had any experience with chains apart from the one I'm currently running.

First of all, the FF should always be first, although there's a fierce debate about whether or not it goes before the Whammy. IMO, it does.

FF > Whammy > Wah > Big Muff > Tuner > Micro Amp > Phase 90 > Delay

The Big Muff could go before or after the wah--try both and see what you like. The tuner doesn't matter too much, especially if it's true bypass; it can be useful as a mute switch if you want it in the chain, otherwise you could put it in the dry out of the Whammy.

Like Chedda said, if you've got a shitty solid state amp then don't worry about getting a Micro Amp, it won't really do anything.

Oh, and Chedda, the TC PolyTune is true bypass

Does the TC not have a buffer in it? In which case it probably need to go after the wooly mammoth

Disregarding that for a minute I would probably have OC-2 > VT Bass > Synth > Big Muff

But it totally depends - if you're using your synth pedal for an envelope follower setting you probably don't want to destroy your dynamics before it with a fuzz. Some people do like to do that though. Also if you're after synth tones then putting the OC-2 after fuzz can be cool. Anyway, you have two potential fuzz boxes there so no need to have them both before the synth, have one of them after

The synth is most likely only used after the fuzz so I put it last...

Mm would it affect the mammoth that much? I know it's True Bypass but not sure about buffers... it has to do with impedance right? I have 2 active basses and 1 passive, I'm sure that'd make a difference too right?

Putting the OC-2 first did make a slight difference, is that a buffered pedal?

I just tried this:

TC Tune -> OC-2 -> Woolly Mammoth -> Big Muff -> VT Bass -> Bass Synth

that sounded pretty neat, I want the VT at the end to spice up my fuzz a bit.

I'd actually love to try a VT Bass.

I really like fuzz after filter, how come you don't?

If your tuner is true bypass then there won't be a buffer engaged when it's off, but yeh you're right, if the wooly mammoth sounds good with your actives then it'd sound fine after a buffer too (which your OC-2 does have).

Fuzz before will add more to the signal, so you'll get a more pronounced effect from the filter and therefore a much stronger "synth" sound.

But yeah, a fuzz afterwards would help get some really filthy sounds if you're into that sort of thing.

See if you can get one on basschat, they shouldn't go that expensive.

The only downside I can think of is that it does what it does a bit too well: emulate ampeg. You can use it great for overdriven ampeg sounds, but 'uncoloured' overdrive it doesn't do well.

I have to try a bit more fuzz after filter I guess, shall give it a go later.

FF > Whammy > Wah > Big Muff > Tuner > Micro Amp > Phase 90 > Delay

Pretty much this although I would put the tuner at the start of the chain just so you know you're getting the cleanest possible signal going into it. And I would also probably have put the Big Muff with the FF before the Whammy, but thats just personal preference.

By the time I buy the micro amp, I should have a Vox AC30VR, is that 'nice'?

Its very nice, I assure you.

Pretty much this although I would put the tuner at the start of the chain just so you know you're getting the cleanest possible signal going into it. And I would also probably have put the Big Muff with the FF before the Whammy, but thats just personal preference.

I agree about the BM with the FF before the Whammy, but always put your Fuzz Factory first, even a tuner can affect the FF depending if the tuner is buffered. Couldn't you run the tuner through the "dry out" of the Whammy?

I would personally go:

FF > Big Muff > Whammy(dry output to tuner) > Wah > Phase 90 > Delay > Micro Amp

Of course if you're only using the Micro Amp to boost the signal for solos and that type of thing.

I would personally go:

FF > Big Muff > Whammy(dry output to tuner) > Wah > Phase 90 > Delay > Micro Amp

Nearly the same setup as me (i scrapped the FF but if i was using it would be first) but i have my micro amp first now then comp > whammy dry out to polytune> wah > BM > HT dual > phase 90 and delay in fx loop.

So here's a slight idea what my board sounds like from bass -> board -> line in

0:00 - 0:22 Clean / Bass synth

0:25 - 1:04 Tech 21 Bass VT

1:08 - 1:41 Tech 21 Bass VT with Bass Big Muff (dry mode)

1:42 - 2:59 Tech 21 Bass VT with Bass Big Muff (dry mode) and OC-2 (0 / -1)

3:02 - end: mammoth clone with OC-2 and mixed with the muff and/or bass vt

I've yet to figure out what I want to do with the mammoth... it's a clone and might not be working as it should (it does give some nice glitchy sounds so I intend on keeping it this way)

Bass demo.mp3

To the people at the end of the last page...Polytune is True Bypass so makes no difference in front of the Fuzz Factory, although having it after could be useful if you want to mute the hiss...Hadn't thought of that before...Might try it...

• 9 months later...

Just in case anyone is interested, I create a bypass pedal that has two separate loops:

- Loop 1: standard 1/4" jacks to connect my pedals

- Loop 2: RCA plugs (white-only...mono) to connect my Korg KP3 (Kaoss Pad)

I used the wiring schematic found here. The only difference is that I wired the "out" from the first 3PDT to the "in" of the second 3PDT.

So, there are four combinations:

1. Both loops off (full bypass)

2. Loop 1 on, Loop 2 off (pedals engaged, KP3 bypassed)

3. Loop 1 off, Lopp 2 on (pedals off, KP3 engaged)

4. Loop 1 and 2 on (pedals engaged, KP3 engaged)

The KP3 should be connected using the RCA jacks (input and output) on the back of the unit. It is better to use these inputs instead of the Mic line in and headphones out. The guitar is mono, so you do not need to hook up both white and red...white only is for mono.

So, instead of needing a Y-cable to split the 1/4" to RCA, I can simply wire the 3PDT to a single RCA jack.

The materials I used:

2x 3PDT True-Bypass Footswitch

4x Switchcraft 1/4 in. Mono Jack #11

1x 4Site 1032L Enclosure (UNFINISHED)

2x Gold RCA Jack Solder Type w/Nut Pair Hex Type - only 1 is really needed, but I wanted two "white" plugs, to avoid confusion

Here are some pictures:

Everything:

Photo2013-01-07102157PM_zps1e2d407c.jpg

Pedal Close-Up:

Photo2013-01-07102206PM-2_zpsc6464001.jpg

Connections:

Photo2013-01-07102212PM_zpsd3ab4ce8.jpg

The two on the left are 1/4" (In and Out), the two on the right are RCA. I am using a cable that has the two cables joined together (typical RCA - red and white). Note that they are BOTH connected to the WHITE terminals (in/out) on the KP3...I just waned to use one cable...so just ignore the red. White only for mono.

Wiring:

Photo2013-01-07102225PM_zps82b18ba1.jpg

Archived