The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Shouldn't affect it at all, I imagine. A decent tuner wouldn't have any trouble with it anyway, and it's suggested as a valid use of it in the instructions for the Whammy anyway. Should be fine I imagine.

Ohhh

Well I lost the instruction booklet (which you were so generous to include). I was looking for the MIDI numbers the other day so I could MOTP.

I need to get a few cables to get the board completed, but that's good to know.

You got the cables yet?

Nope, still no cables yet! :(

I think you can find the Digitech instruction manuals online in PDF format if you need the MIDI numbers, so just try a google search and you should find it. But yeah, I've watched videos on YouTube before comparing how the speed and accuracy of tuners was affected whether they were first in the chain or later on through a dry out or whatever and there was no difference whatsoever. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Fuzz Factory -> Wah/Whammy -> Whammy/Wah -> James90 -> Space Echo

That's what I'd say anyway...Although for the tone, in my experience the Fuzz Factory sounds better AFTER the Whammy if you try to use both at the same time...BUT you won't be able to use the stab knob or any of the oscillation if you do that...So you'll have to decide on that...

I think it's mainly just the fuzz factory that has issues with it. Wah and Whammy both affect the signal but don't add to it so it wouldn't matter so much I don't think...

On which note I'm going to go home to Whammy my new Whammy. See you tomorrow. :awesome:

Hendrix put his wah before his fuzz I believe, so if that's the kind of sound you're going for you could.

And yeah, for phase and delay it depends if you want the phasing sweeps to be delayed too or not.

Personally, I'll have Fuzz -> Wah -> Whammy -> Delay -> Phase, out of those effects...

Fuzz and wahs interact in kind of strange ways depending on where you put them though. I find that by putting my wah after my fuzz I can get some really nice controlled background oscillation, whereas if you put it the other way round the effects are somewhat less awesome.

EDIT: With fuzz first like how I have it, ending of SfA sounds 100x more epic.

EDIT 2: Does the wah probe work differently to a regular wah in terms of positioning and effect?

wah probe works much better infront of the fuzz factory. even zach recommends wah probe in front.

I never knew that. I'll have to try that out when I get mine.

What about if you have a Fuzz Probe as well as those two?

So here's what I think I'll have in a few months.

Digitech Whammy 4

Fuzz Factory

Boss RE-20 Space Echo (

)

Wah Probe

Phase 90

What order should I put these in to get the best tone?

Well if you want Matt's phase sounds or generally you want to use the FF with a phaser and not just on your clean tones, you should put it before the FF (if you have true-bypass one)...Matt has it like that, I believe Eddie Van Halen had it like that and I think it's really better...But if you want to use it for clean sounds then put it before delay (I think modulation should come before delay and reverbs)...

So I'd say - Wah Probe (if Zach says it's good before the FF) - Phase90 (with fuzz) - the allmighty FuzzFactory - Whammy - Phase 90 (for cleans) - Space Echo (but better put that in the FX loop of the amp)

Archived