The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

It gives you more attack because it's not compressing the attack portion of the envelope, so you're not really helping overall loudness. Still, if your rig has the headroom for those dynamics........

As it happens, my rig can only be pushed so far, so I have a brick wall limiter at the end of the chain.

How does the CS-3 work? All the compressors I use, have an attack function, for determining when the compressor kicks in. If the knob is full left, the sound is squashed, if the knob is full right, there is practically no effect. Is that not the case for the boss one?

i cant remember which way round it works now, but i like it pretty much all the way right

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so I'm planning on making myself an effects board with room for future effects. First off I need to know what order to put them in.

Currently have: MXR Phase 90, Boss DS-1, Boss DD-3 (in that order). I'm gonna add a whammy in about a week. Later on I'll be adding a Fuzz Factory, Wah and big muff.

Any idea's? I've read that the FF and whammy should be somewhere first in the chain.

Right, so I'm planning on making myself an effects board with room for future effects. First off I need to know what order to put them in.

Currently have: MXR Phase 90, Boss DS-1, Boss DD-3 (in that order). I'm gonna add a whammy in about a week. Later on I'll be adding a Fuzz Factory, Wah and big muff.

Any idea's? I've read that the FF and whammy should be somewhere first in the chain.

right...

first off, id put the whammy in a effects loop, it sucks far too much tone to go at the beggining of your chain really.

out of those pedals, id certainly put the fuzz factory first, as all your other pedals arnt true bypass as far as i know

second in line id go for the whammy, in a effects loop pedal (like boss ls-2). then id put phase 90, ds-1, wah, big muff, dd-3. that way you have distortion both before and after the wah

all imo though ;)

Hmmm the Boss LS-2 will still color the sound, I'd rather go for a true bypass pedal. Any advice on a cheap true bypass loop pedal?

build one if you have a drill and soldering iron handy.

anyway, personally i'd go:

wah > phase90 > fuzz factory > whammy > big muff > ds-1 > dd3

if you run the phase90 before the FF, the phase will modulate the FF feedback, pointless but meh and the wah will make the FF go nuts and do all sorts of horrible stuff, if they are turned off, the FF will be perfectly normal, even on it'll work the same, just doesn't interact with the guitar's controls.

Hmmm the Boss LS-2 will still color the sound, I'd rather go for a true bypass pedal. Any advice on a cheap true bypass loop pedal?

Napalm Pedals are good, totally true bypass, have VERY bright LED's and are pretty cheap. The guy is a really cool bloke too who more than deserves our support.

If you want to be able to blend the levels of your seperate lines though, DHA Passive Blender will see you well.

build one if you have a drill and soldering iron handy.

anyway, personally i'd go:

wah > phase90 > fuzz factory > whammy > big muff > ds-1 > dd3

if you run the phase90 before the FF, the phase will modulate the FF feedback, pointless but meh and the wah will make the FF go nuts and do all sorts of horrible stuff, if they are turned off, the FF will be perfectly normal, even on it'll work the same, just doesn't interact with the guitar's controls.

i thought most wah's wernt true bypass?

i know if i put my unibass, which isnt true bypass, before my fuzz probe, the probe can sound terrible

i just gave the ls-2 as an example of what i meeant by looper, whatever you do dont get one, overpriced and they colour your sound

yes im aware my unibas is different from a wah, i was merely saying how a none true bypass pedal effects the probe ;)

but not every type of non-TB will necessarily affect the probe. just trust me, i've owned way too many pedals, gotta have some idea what works with what...

funnily enough, i've got my whammy in a seperate TB loop within my amps FX loop and i can hear no differnce in the sound when it's bypassed with the looper compared to bypassed with the whammy's bypass. however my big muff goes a lot quieter when the loop is bypassed compared to when it is engaged...

but not every type of non-TB will necessarily affect the probe. just trust me, i've owned way too many pedals, gotta have some idea what works with what...

i know that, i just know that most of my non true bypass pedals i have owned effect it, and iv heard that wah's do too

• 2 months later...

ive got my own order for these, but id like to see how others would order these:

fuzz factory

blue box

pro co rat

boss tr-2

boss dd-3

zoom g7.1ut (which i use as a preamp running into an amps power amp, as well as for effects)

currently they are:

FF -> blue box -> rat -> tr-2 -> zoom -> dd-3 -> poweramp

cheers

andrew

ive got my own order for these, but id like to see how others would order these:

fuzz factory

blue box

pro co rat

boss tr-2

boss dd-3

zoom g7.1ut (which i use as a preamp running into an amps power amp, as well as for effects)

currently they are:

FF -> blue box -> rat -> tr-2 -> zoom -> dd-3 -> poweramp

cheers

andrew

Blue Box > FF > Rat > TR-2 > Zoom > DD3

quit being a twat i was just asking, being that is a multi would the order differ if i'm using it for diffrent things, phase, delay etc.

me? a twat? never :noey:

YOU are the twat - like the thousands of others in K'n'T

a) you didn't search

b) you didn't look in the thread specifically for this

c) you didn't use your common sense

And I'd put the Big Muff first, regardless, but try it out. There's only two pedals ffs.

being a multifx pedal, it depends what you're doing with it.

but in most circumstances you should put the muff first.

and i agree with revilo, you could easily just have tried connecting them both ways round and seeing which you liked best, its a matter of taste (unless you're using delay, then the muff deffo goes first, unless you want something unusual). if after connecting them and trying them both ways and you still arent sure, then ask in the thread that was made to stop lots of new "what order for.." threads being made.

my advice: just try them both ways round and play with them to try and create interesting sounds :) if you like it however you end up setting up, then its the right way round :p

Archived