The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

:stunned:

i taught her everything she knows about effects :p

Haha, after all.. You are an epic god. You are Brother Hazel. *Bows down*

It's true :$ Although I got my big muff before you! I think...

Everyone reached puberty before Haze.. :p

ok i want a bit of help.. i know how i put my pedals together, but id be interested to see how other people would do it given these pedals...

Boss ME-50 (mainly used for whammy!) so needs to be able to track

Line 6 POD XTL (will probably just act as stompboxes without amp/speaker simulation.. want to use for flanger or phaser and also as a volume/wah pedal so probably needs to be near the end of the chain)

Boss OC-3 (sometimes used as a light distortion with the octave down on 'drive' mode)

Boss GE-7 (mostly want to use as a volume boost)

Boss CS-3 (want to use for enhanced punchy cleans)

Boss DD-3

EHX NY Big Muff (very noisy if connected in line with the FF)

Z-Vex Fuzz Factory (really hates not being first... problem for the me-50 which i use for whammy)

ok, so theres what ive got and what im using them for...

i dont want to necessarily use all of them, and keep in mind please, that i have an effects loop.. parrallel one as well i think.

so can anyone help and suggest how to get round the problem im getting (mainly with the me-50 and the FF) but also be able to suggest how to incorporate the muff in without it screwing with the FF and also being able to use the pod as a volume/wah/phaser/flanger?

4 are the ones i really want to include, if anyone can suggest another cunning way to put in more then thats cool :)

but yeh, i think i need some help with this.. everything was fine before i got the FF and now ive gotta restructure the whole lot!

oh, also i wouldnt mind getting an AB switch thing if its a good idea with how someone suggests doing it

do you use the me50 and the fuzz factory together at any point? if not then put the fuzz factroy first, its true bypass so wont effect the whammy function in the slightest

nah. well, the only reason i dont use them together is cos they dont work together, but i'd kinda like to if its at all possible

try the muff in the FX loop with overdriven amp :) that's how i use mine. works really nicely on mine. it's not as fuzzy but you've got a fuzz factory for that :)

awesome, *trys*

keep the sustain about half and the tone 1-2 oclock ish i find. trouble is it doesn't do volume very well :(

thanks for that, sounds good and it shouldnt fuck with the FF any more :)

its still a bit noisy though, when its on

and yeh, even at max volume its a fair bit quieter than my amp, but i might try and sort out some kind of loop with it being followed by a volume boosting EQ or compressor.. thatd sort it out.

keep the sustain about half and the tone 1-2 oclock ish i find. trouble is it doesn't do volume very well :(

oh by the way, i just tried it and i think the best way to get the volume the same on the drive channell when the pedal is off and on is to put a compressor/limiter pedal before the big muff in the FX loop..

you turn on the compressor so that it makes the drive signal quieter (using the level knob) and then you can put on the muff without horrible squealing occuring.. i found the best settings using a boss cs-3 were with levl just past 12:00, tone on 12:00 attack on full and sustain on nothing (sustain made it hiss like a bitch)

then i put the muff controls on just past 3:00, 2:00 and 10:00 respectively from left to right

hope that helps with the volume thing, it seems to work although i havent tried it at louder volumes yet

ah cool. mines fine at normal volumes, it's just when i start getting loud it can't keep up. i used my EQ after it a few times boosting the level up but i think it was pretty noisey.

the muff sounds nice there though ay. nice and fat but still plenty of attack.

Ok guys I've been looking around for the best way to setup all my guitar pedals and so far I have them set in the following order:

Tuner>Digitech Tone Driver>Digitech Hot Rod (Dist.)>BOSS ML-1 "Metalcore" (Dist.)>Electro-Harmonix Small Clone (Chorus)>Digitech Hyper Phase>Electro-Harmonix PolyChorus (Flange)>BOSS TR-2 Tremolo

Do I have these pedals setup in the "right" order? Or do I have too many distortion pedals...?

I'm considering adding a delay, reverb, Univibe and Fuzz effects later...with those potential pedals how should the setup change?

Any input would be great! Reply here or IM on AIM: m00s30fst331

Ok guys I've been looking around for the best way to setup all my guitar pedals and so far I have them set in the following order:

Tuner>Digitech Tone Driver>Digitech Hot Rod (Dist.)>BOSS ML-1 "Metalcore" (Dist.)>Electro-Harmonix Small Clone (Chorus)>Digitech Hyper Phase>Electro-Harmonix PolyChorus (Flange)>BOSS TR-2 Tremolo

Do I have these pedals setup in the "right" order? Or do I have too many distortion pedals...?

I'm considering adding a delay, reverb, Univibe and Fuzz effects later...with those potential pedals how should the setup change?

seems like a fine setup, obviously if you get a delay or reverb, stick them at the end of the chain, and if u get get a fuzz, stick it nearer the beggining, preferably before any distortions

how can you have too many distortions?

the univibe and fuzz should really go before any overdrive or distortion. delays and reverbs at the end, personally i put all modulation effects apart from tremolo before distortion and fuzz where possible.

a boss cs-3 were with levl just past 12:00, tone on 12:00 attack on full and sustain on nothing (sustain made it hiss like a bitch)

How does the CS-3 work? All the compressors I use, have an attack function, for determining when the compressor kicks in. If the knob is full left, the sound is squashed, if the knob is full right, there is practically no effect. Is that not the case for the boss one?

Archived