The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

sorry to double post,

my current setup

guitar > wah probe > whammy > amp

amp > big muff > small stone > digital delay > amp

where should the mighty mxr blue box come into this? i was thinking the muff should be after the whammy the the blue box after that really, but i like the muff in the loop :(

blue box should be first. :)

all distortion and fuzzes kick some major ass distorting the blue box.

personally, i'd have the small stone before distortion, but that's a personal thing

Right, now i'm confusing myself.

I have:

Fuzz Factory

Whammy WH4

EHX Little Big Muff

EHXMetal Muff

EHX Small Stone

EHX Microsynth

Boss Tremolo

Boss DD6

Korg tuner pedal.

EB volume pedal

Boss ME50

Digitech EX-7

any suggestions on how to order these? i have been experimenting, just looking for some outside advice.

also, how would i go about putting the whammy and EX7 in a seperate loop, so as not to obliterate my guitar sound....? i've never used an AB-Y box or similar before...

blue box should be first. :)

all distortion and fuzzes kick some major ass distorting the blue box.

personally, i'd have the small stone before distortion, but that's a personal thing

blue box even before wah and whammy?

Right, now i'm confusing myself.

I have:

Fuzz Factory

Whammy WH4

EHX Little Big Muff

EHXMetal Muff

EHX Small Stone

EHX Microsynth

Boss Tremolo

Boss DD6

Korg tuner pedal.

EB volume pedal

Boss ME50

Digitech EX-7

any suggestions on how to order these? i have been experimenting, just looking for some outside advice.

also, how would i go about putting the whammy and EX7 in a seperate loop, so as not to obliterate my guitar sound....? i've never used an AB-Y box or similar before...

anyone?

kay my order has changed a bit after experimentin jus now

musicman bass > fuzz probe > whammy > bass synth wah or boss fbm-1 > compressor > zoom 506II tuner > deep impact > big muff > shitty amp

was concerned about puttin the zoom, which i only use as a tuner and sometimes add distortion to the muff/probe with it, as i thought the tuner might be affected, but works just fine :)

musicman bass > fuzz probe > whammy > bass synth wah or boss fbm-1 > compressor > zoom 506II tuner > deep impact > big muff > shitty amp

was concerned about puttin the zoom, which i only use as a tuner and sometimes add distortion to the muff/probe with it, as i thought the tuner might be affected, but works just fine :)

Why do you have the compressor in the middle of your chain?

fuzz

whammy - tuner dry out

volume pedal

big muff

phaser

metal muff

ME50

tremolo

delay

not really sure what a EX7 is and i don't really know where to put a micro synth :)

The EX-7 is the expression factory; basically a multi fx unit with wah, whammy, spacestation effects in it, etc.

and its the microsynth i'm having a bit of trouble with! i was thinking near the start of the chain so i could distort it.

how do you use AB-Y boxes? i've never ever used one or even come close to using one....

you've got 2 multiFX? put that in front of the muff if you use it for wah i guess, as for the microsynth, just see if it sounds better before or after distortion and place it accordingly :)

as for AB-Y boxes, put what you want in your main chain in A and what you want to be able to bypass in B i assume. then you can switch to A B or both. i've never used one either, just guessing :)

Why do you have the compressor in the middle of your chain?

since its a behringer i aint totally confident with having it near the beggining, its obv NOT true bypass, and i aint really much use at the end, so i just have it before the sb1 and the muff, tbh i hardly use it, only when im playin heavily or with a pic

i suppose it would do no harm movin it to inbetwen the probe and whammy

you've got 2 multiFX? put that in front of the muff if you use it for wah i guess, as for the microsynth, just see if it sounds better before or after distortion and place it accordingly :)

as for AB-Y boxes, put what you want in your main chain in A and what you want to be able to bypass in B i assume. then you can switch to A B or both. i've never used one either, just guessing :)

its not a multi-FX, strictly speaking. It looks like a wah pedal but does all those built in expression effects. I've put it next to the whammy; before the muff, and i'm gonna look into AB switches and see about looping the whammy and the EX-7 off into their own little chain.

the microsynth has been placed before the muff aswell, it sounds pretty fun :D

thanks a bundle for the response, btw!

you should try this set up

probe -> fbm-1 -> whammy -> (dry out) tuner (wet out) -> comp -> deep impact -> big muff

if you wanted to, i'd try putting the deep impact either 1st or 2nd (it may sound better before the whammy but it's up to you)

pedalboard1cg6.jpg

since its a behringer i aint totally confident with having it near the beggining, its obv NOT true bypass, and i aint really much use at the end, so i just have it before the sb1 and the muff, tbh i hardly use it, only when im playin heavily or with a pic

i suppose it would do no harm movin it to inbetwen the probe and whammy

But surely you want a compressor near the end of the chain as it's going to add noise, especially if it's cheap one like the behringer. Do you really want to be sticking other effects on top of it?

But surely you want a compressor near the end of the chain as it's going to add noise, especially if it's cheap one like the behringer. Do you really want to be sticking other effects on top of it?

well thats what i was thinkin, but i thought it would have a greater effect nearer the beggining of the chain, so you think i should put it after the effects?

well thats what i was thinkin, but i thought it would have a greater effect nearer the beggining of the chain, so you think i should put it after the effects?

Well, i don't know how good a compressor the behringer is lol!

But generally speaking, yeah it should probably go at the end...

But then again, there's no rules it's just whatever sounds best to you right?

Well, i don't know how good a compressor the behringer is lol!

But generally speaking, yeah it should probably go at the end...

But then again, there's no rules it's just whatever sounds best to you right?

tbh iv cranked my amp right up, and the behringer doesnt seem to colour the sound clean r when run throught the sb1 and the muff, so i think for the fact all the cables fit nicely this way il leave it!

• 2 weeks later...
i'd have the tuner out of the whammy dry if you aren't using that, i'd probably go with the overdrive before the rat, but

try both and see which sounds best with them both on. Phaser after distortion usually, but you could have it between the OD and the rat, that way you have options. and delay last unless you have the eq, then prob go with that last.

so FF > whammy with TU dry out > wah > od or rat > phaser > rat of od > delay > eq

that's what i'd be inclined to go with

bump.

So, with all the new pedals, it should be like...

whammy (tuner connected to dry output) > wah > distortion or overdrive or fuzz (big muff, not fuzz factory) > phaser > flanger > delay > EQ > volume pedal

is that about right?

also, if I were to add the blue box, should that go where the distortion would go?

Archived