The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

I know I posted on the last page but I decided not to get the Echohead, and saved up for a while to get some EHX pedals, so I now have:

EHX Big Muff

MXR Phase 90

ProCo Rat

Digitech Whammy

EHX Holy Grail Reverb

EHX The Worm

EHX Mini Q-Tron

With my current knowledge I reckon they should go Whammy > Phase 90 > Muff > Rat > Reverb, but I don't know where to put the Worm or the Q Tron, can anyone help me please?

I would try the phaser after some dist, I would try the worm and Q Tron before and after dist, reverb at the end, and you don't have any delay. Should have got the echohead!

I don't think anyone can help you if you can't get a sound you like, keep experimenting!

• 2 weeks later...
thnx

but trust your ears.... you should know what kind of sound you're looking for, theres no definitive answer... jsut the more obvious one :p

i wired in a pickup recently that was accidentally out of phase with the other one in the guitar.... but i left it like that cos i liked the change in sound when playing with both at the same time.:LOL:

• 3 weeks later...

should my order be like...

tuner (boss tu-2) > fukz faktury lol > whammy > wah (vox v848) > overdrive (MI audio crunchbox) > distortion (turbo rat) > ?

I don't know if the overdrive goes before the rat or not.

I'm going to add a phaser and possibly a delay, but where do they go?

also, I might put a boss GE-7 eq at the end..does that make sense?

[/pedal_n00b]

should my order be like...

tuner (boss tu-2) > fukz faktury lol > whammy > wah (vox v848) > overdrive (MI audio crunchbox) > distortion (turbo rat) > ?

I don't know if the overdrive goes before the rat or not.

I'm going to add a phaser and possibly a delay, but where do they go?

also, I might put a boss GE-7 eq at the end..does that make sense?

[/pedal_n00b]

i'd have the tuner out of the whammy dry if you aren't using that, i'd probably go with the overdrive before the rat, but

try both and see which sounds best with them both on. Phaser after distortion usually, but you could have it between the OD and the rat, that way you have options. and delay last unless you have the eq, then prob go with that last.

so FF > whammy with TU dry out > wah > od or rat > phaser > rat of od > delay > eq

that's what i'd be inclined to go with

i'd have the tuner out of the whammy dry if you aren't using that, i'd probably go with the overdrive before the rat, but

try both and see which sounds best with them both on. Phaser after distortion usually, but you could have it between the OD and the rat, that way you have options. and delay last unless you have the eq, then prob go with that last.

so FF > whammy with TU dry out > wah > od or rat > phaser > rat of od > delay > eq

Thanks, I'll try that :)

I forgot about the whammy dry thing, I think I used to put my tuner there anyway.

i'd go

guitar > ultra metal > phaser > grunge > amp

depends on what you use your pod for as to where that will go.

I'd try the phaser before the ultra metal - otherwise you phase the compressed distorted sound, which isn't as prominent! I personally have my handmade fuzz (its TBP though) infront of modulation, then my other fuzz and disto/overdrive after. So play about and see what sounds best for you!

Pod at the end, perhaps in the FX loop if you have one?

Personally I find phase sounds slightly better infront of wah because you can modulate the phased sound...like I said before, try the phaser before and after distortion. Same with the wah. My homemade fuzz is similar to the FF so I think that's all that's needed for dirt infront of the phaser. Try the EQ before and after all your dirt boxes too, cos they might sound yummier with specific EQ on them! :D

got to agree with donbenjy about phasers being before distortion, i prefer it like that, i also use a delay and a flanger before distortion, just sounds better and a lot less cheesey.

my order:

octave/fuzz > fuzz > fuzz > flanger > pitchshifter/delay > pitchshifter > phaser > fuzz > overdrive > distortion > tremolo > delay > delay

i <3 my stupid pedal board :happy:

got to agree with donbenjy about phasers being before distortion, i prefer it like that, i also use a delay and a flanger before distortion, just sounds better and a lot less cheesey.

my order:

octave/fuzz > fuzz > fuzz > flanger > pitchshifter/delay > pitchshifter > phaser > fuzz > overdrive > distortion > tremolo > delay > delay

i <3 my stupid pedal board :happy:

delay before distortion is ok if you're not switching between clean and dirty channels all the time... i found it rather annoying though.

delay before distortion is ok if you're not switching between clean and dirty channels all the time... i found it rather annoying though.

i only have it there for creating noise, the 'main' delay is at the very end of my chain.

but if i could, i would play with the power amp turned right up, so all effects would be before distortion....but it sounds so good :happy:

I am planning on using amp disortion and getting rid of multi effects pedal disortion. So my question is if im changin channel on amp from clean to distortion will it be best to use effects loop? and if so wats best to go in it? I have whammy and line 6 dl4 will they sound best in there?

whammy's track better after distortion, or anywhere where the signal is boosted, but they destroy tone, so it's better to use it before distortion.

unfortunately, the same is true for the dl4 on certain models (tape, sweep etc).

guys like morrelo and bellamy can get away with using both in effects loops because they crank the amps right up, so it's the power amp doing the work, so in reality, both pedals are before distortion, not after it.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to revive an old thread but i didnt think i should start another one.

basically alot of my tone is being sucked from my guitar probably because my order's wrong, and it's affecting my fuzz factory as it's not as fuzzy as it should be (if that makes sence)

basically i was wondering if it's something to do with the order, or just because it's gotta go through alot?

AMP

USA Big Muff

Boss Me-50

ProCo Rat 2

Digitech Whammy

Kaoss Pad 2

Fuzz Factory

GUITAR

any help is appreciated!

well having a whammy and a kaoss pad in your chain is gonna kill 99% of your tone haha

i'd go something like

guitar>fuzz factory>whammy>rat>bigmuff>boss me50>kaoss pad>amp

but if you have an effects loop in your amp put the kaoss pad in there :)

sorry to double post,

my current setup

guitar > wah probe > whammy > amp

amp > big muff > small stone > digital delay > amp

where should the mighty mxr blue box come into this? i was thinking the muff should be after the whammy the the blue box after that really, but i like the muff in the loop :(

Archived