Manson Signature Guitars DL-1 (Delorean)

musecasters

Matt has the same gauge strings on his guitars, but a .060 replacing the .046 for the bottom string :) They don't make a set with those gauges, so you'll have to buy a .060 separately

oh, thank you Bs, I'ven't think to this !!! I'll buy .060 separately, sure ;)

I use the Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms (or is it the other way? :erm:) with .10-.52

that is correct. I still have that gauge on my MB-1, but next time I set it up, I might keep the .052 for the 6th string and use the standard 10's gauge for the rest...really because I use it for drop D and I think the tension on the 4th and 5th strings is a bit much.

Ive had a 0.09 on for about a year, needs changed cause its starting to sound horrid - does anyone else get it when it sounds really sharp and has a faint "tremelo" kind of thing, similiar to when you tune using harmonics and one of them is off and it quivers?

I have played .10-.52 on my Les Paul for a couple of months now. Really can´t get to liking them at all. The heaviest strings sound way too dull and bassy in my opinion. Back to .46!

You might like it on the MB-1 and DL-1 though. I never liked heavy strings on gibsons (mainly because they couldn't handle it or they felt wrong)

The MB-1 and DL-1 don't sound quite as big as a LP, so I'd give it a try first (assuming they ship the MB-1 with 10-52 this time. They sent the DL-1s with 10-46)

So I've had my MB-1 for almost a year and it still looks like new (except for that sustainer pickup!) ... yet I've only had my DL-1 for about a week and I managed to take a chunk out of the back finish :facepalm:

Ive had a 0.09 on for about a year, needs changed cause its starting to sound horrid - does anyone else get it when it sounds really sharp and has a faint "tremelo" kind of thing, similiar to when you tune using harmonics and one of them is off and it quivers?

Yeah, that happened once when I put on a string that had a kink in it. I don't think it's just old strings that do that.

You might like it on the MB-1 and DL-1 though. I never liked heavy strings on gibsons (mainly because they couldn't handle it or they felt wrong)

The MB-1 and DL-1 don't sound quite as big as a LP, so I'd give it a try first (assuming they ship the MB-1 with 10-52 this time. They sent the DL-1s with 10-46)

That´s a good point I guess. The LP is overall very dark and a bit muddy compared to most other guitars made from lighter woods like Alder and the likes. My Axis is way more open and crispy sounding than the LP. Probably a good idea to try the heavies on the Mansons then.

Still haven´t heard back from Adrian about my DL-1. I´ll give him a day or too before starting the nagging process:D Still doing final setups on the last ones I guess.

I never liked heavy strings on gibsons (mainly because they couldn't handle it or they felt wrong).

I always found that my Les Paul (albeit an Eppyfone) handles heavier strings better than lighter strings, perhaps to do with the setup. Either way I definitely think Gibsons can handle them, they just need to be setup right. Stratocasters are the same, I've had light and heavy strings on mine and even without altering the setup they sound just fine.

I once tried a CV60s Strat in a guitar shop that was strung up with really light strings, 9s I think, and oh man that thing played so nice. It was almost like the strings were too loose, yet it was perfectly in tune, so I could bend millions of semitones at a time.

And it was white with a gold pickguard, which gets Pink Floyd points.

Pics? Or am I not cool enough.

:chuckle:

Too much snobbery and cliqueyness on internet forums :D

That´s a good point I guess. The LP is overall very dark and a bit muddy compared to most other guitars made from lighter woods like Alder and the likes. My Axis is way more open and crispy sounding than the LP. Probably a good idea to try the heavies on the Mansons then.

Still haven´t heard back from Adrian about my DL-1. I´ll give him a day or too before starting the nagging process:D Still doing final setups on the last ones I guess.

Yeah, I'd definitely try the heavier strings, especially on the MB-1 since that seems a little brighter and not as full as the DL-1 (with the MBK-3 anyway)

I always found that my Les Paul (albeit an Eppyfone) handles heavier strings better than lighter strings, perhaps to do with the setup. Either way I definitely think Gibsons can handle them, they just need to be setup right. Stratocasters are the same, I've had light and heavy strings on mine and even without altering the setup they sound just fine.

I once tried a CV60s Strat in a guitar shop that was strung up with really light strings, 9s I think, and oh man that thing played so nice. It was almost like the strings were too loose, yet it was perfectly in tune, so I could bend millions of semitones at a time.

And it was white with a gold pickguard, which gets Pink Floyd points.

I don't like anything below 10's really. They're easier to bend, sure, but I don't like the feel/sound.

I wouldn't be surprised if your epiphone is better than my frankenstein LP :facepalm: I've never used anything heavier than 11's on a gibson for standard tuning. I have a good idea how to setup a guitar, but for whatever reason, the ones I've had refuse to play well with 12's or 13's.

I don't like anything below 10's really. They're easier to bend, sure, but I don't like the feel/sound.

I wouldn't be surprised if your epiphone is better than my frankenstein LP :facepalm: I've never used anything heavier than 11's on a gibson for standard tuning. I have a good idea how to setup a guitar, but for whatever reason, the ones I've had refuse to play well with 12's or 13's.

10s are pretty much spot on for me, I have no trouble bending them but they still keep that nice fat sound you get from having thick strings.

To be honest, my Epi never ceases to amaze me. By rights, it should be the worst playing guitar I own, yet somehow its the best, and will likely remain my number one live guitar for a while. Its only ever been set up once because I thought it might as well get one when I took it in for a fret dress. It came back with nice shiny frets but still felt exactly the same as it always has. Much much later and it still manages to play perfectly, despite hideous fret wear and having had the set up ruined many many times.

A conundrum, it is.

So I've had my MB-1 for almost a year and it still looks like new (except for that sustainer pickup!) ... yet I've only had my DL-1 for about a week and I managed to take a chunk out of the back finish :facepalm:

Yeah, that happened once when I put on a string that had a kink in it. I don't think it's just old strings that do that.

Pics or it's a soldano (of the DL-1 scar).

Also, what guage did the MB-1s ship with?

Pics or it's a soldano (of the DL-1 scar).

Also, what guage did the MB-1s ship with?

It's not horrible, but you can definitely see it. Some of the silver chipped off and now it just shows this white stuff.

And if you mean the last run, same gauges as the ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom set

It's not horrible, but you can definitely see it. Some of the silver chipped off and now it just shows this white stuff.

And if you mean the last run, same gauges as the ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom set

A Delorean is not a proper Delorean without a bit of wear :cool:

I'm never really bothered about dinks and scratches in stuff unless I'm planning to sell it at a later stage

i find heavier guages are easier to get on with on LP guitars rather than the more fender style (i think it's because of a shorter scale length) isn't a .6 string on a manson taught as hell in e?

I think with the DL id be excited to scratch it up :LOL:

i'm dreading my first one on the front, i think i'll sulk the rest of the day. back plate looks like it's been through a bush now though

Archived