Muse-related study, please help!

CottonCandy

Hello,

I am doing a study in my psychology course, and I chose to do this particular study about a Muse song. I would love it if you could give about 30 minutes of your time for this study! It will require you to listen songs I ask, but you can do other things at the same time. It is likely that you will have access to the songs that I ask you to listen to on your mp3-player or such, if not, they're going to be songs you can find on Youtube or Spotify or such.

If you are interested and willing, please give me a pm and I will give instructions how to go on.

Thank you for your time and co-operation :)

Can I just make sure people are aware that the study works best when it's all done in a row-sadly because of this I might need to disregard some results that were given erratically (as in, the whole thing wasn't done in one row).

However, I will be online now until around 11pm (uk time) so that's about 5 hours if anyone has 30minutes now and can take part in the study. Again, all I need is about 30minutes of your time in which I tell you songs to listen to, and for you to pm me back for the following instructions. I very much appreciate all the help I've gotten so far!

I'm quite excited of the results I've gotten and the sooner I get enough people, the sooner I can tell you guys the results :) And please, if you have done the study, please do not discuss what you did on the board, as this will ruin the purpose of the study :) All will be revealed to everyone in due time!

Alright people, I need TWO MORE participants and then I'm done! I have been told it can take about 40 minutes to do this study rather than the 30. Regardless, if I can get two more volunteers who have that time now to listen to some music, I'd be a very happy bunny. Just pm me if you're happy doing it.

Thank you for all of the participants of the study!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

You are now free to discuss the study if you participated or were curious about it.

It will be a few days more until I can analyse the answers, but let me fill you in first on what the study was about:

I was given an assigment where I needed to test "peak effect" This was done before as an experiment where a group was made to hold their hands in cold water for 60 seconds. Another group held their hands first in the same temperature water for 60 seconds, then in slightly warmer (still cold!) water for further 30 seconds. It was seen that people rated the longer experiment better, even though they had to have their hands in the cold water for longer!

We were told to test this with song alternative, where we should first give the participants a liked song to review, then repeat it, make then review it again, repeat a disliked song and finally ask the participants to review the original song again. We were asked to get a control group, I decided to modify it so that instead of repeating one, disliked song I would give the control group various songs to listen to. The hypothesis is that generally people would rate the same song in group 1 more, because of the unliked song and dullness of the repeat, even when the experiment was overall more dull.

I thought putting the study on Muse board would be good, as everyone here likes a bit of Muse! However, it's not really as controlled as an experiment environment as a laboratory would be. Still, I gave it a go...

Thank you for your help! First thing I would need from you is for you to listen to Plug In Baby, rate it from scale 1-7 (1 being hated it, 7 being loved it and 4 being didn't mind either way) and get your age, sex and nationality. Message me with the information after listening to the song, I'll give you the next instructions!

Thank you! The next thing I would like you to do is to listen to the same song, Plug In Baby, 5 times in a row and after that, rate it again (it's ok if your rating changes, or if it stays the same). Then pm again for the next instruction.

Thank you! The next thing I would like you to do is to listen to Soldiers Poem 5 times. You do not have to rate it. Then pm me for final instructions.

Thank you! The last thing I would like you to do is to listen to the first song, Plug In Baby, one more time and rate it. Again, it is ok if your rating changes, or stays the same. Pm me your rating after you listen to the song a final time!

Thanks for all of your time and help. Please do not tell other people what the study was about, in the end I will tell the purpose for everyone. The study wasn’t so much about Muse as the “peak effect”. I made people in your group listen to a song you are likely to like. Then I wanted to see if the effect would lessen or increase after the repetition, and again if the effect would lessen or increase after playing less-liked song, Soldiers Poem. My hypothesis, or prediction, would be that people would like the original song as much or more after the less-liked song was played. There was also another group who had slightly different songs in the middle. I will reveal the results and if my hypothesis was supported after I have gotten enough participants! Thank you again.

Thank you for your help! First thing I would need from you is for you to listen to Plug In Baby, rate it from scale 1-7 (1 being hated it, 7 being loved it and 4 being didn't mind either way) and get your age, sex and nationality. Message me with the information after listening to the song, I'll give you the next instructions!

Thank you! The next thing I would like you to do is to listen to the same song, Plug In Baby, 5 times in a row and after that, rate it again (it's ok if your rating changes, or if it stays the same). Then pm again for the next instruction.

Thank you! The next thing I would like you to do is to listen to the following songs: 1. Placebo- Bitter End, 2. Radiohead –Paranoid Android, 3. Arcade Fire –Month Of May, 4. Queens Of The Stone Age –No One Knows and Franz Ferdinand- Take Me Out. You do not have to rate these songs. Then pm me for final instructions.

Thank you! The last thing I would like you to do is to listen to the first song, Plug In Baby, one more time and rate it. Again, it is ok if your rating changes, or stays the same. Pm me your rating after you listen to the song a final time!

Thanks for all of your time and help. Please do not tell other people what the study was about, in the end I will tell the purpose for everyone. The study wasn’t so much about Muse as the “peak effect”. I made people in your group listen to a song you are likely to like. Then I wanted to see if the effect would lessen or increase after the repetition, and again if the effect would lessen or increase after playing different set of songs altogether. You were the control group against a group who only got to hear two different songs, Plug In Baby and a lesser-liked Muse song. My hypothesis, or prediction, would be that people would like the original song as much or more after the less-liked song was played. I will reveal the results and if my hypothesis was supported after I have gotten enough participants! Thank you again.

I hope you all had fun and found it as exciting as I did! I will post the results as soon as I can :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing that bothers me... You presuppose that Soldier's Poem is a less-liked song, but a lot of people would say it is as good as PiB. I personally would enjoy listening to SP 5 times.

I think it's too subjective... People prefer warm water to cold water, but it's not so clear for Muse songs.

Too bad I came late for the xp. though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived