British trio delivers the unexpected

Bells

I'm amused that he had to explain what a keytar is.

I had absolutely no clue what keytar was until it was used in Undisclosed Desires, it's fair enough that the writer explains what it is. This review was not written for this board, after all.

Yeah, it's not the best review, but I don't think it deserves the amount of eye-rolling it seems to get here.

That was dreadful. His outline probably went a little something like this:

1. Tell my readers that while I'm by no means a fan of the band, I was surprised by their performance last night. I won't state how surprised. I couldn't have been all too surprised, since I didn't come away wanting to hear any more, but surprised nonetheless. Surprised more along the lines of, wow, this meal I made actually tastes good. No, I can't say that. I'd then be admitting the band is good. Hmm... Okay, the meal I made is edible. There, that works.

2. Talk about how I didn't like those "twits" very much because of the Celine Dion thing. Her music still takes my breath away even when just typing her name.

3. Explain that I've only heard one song of theirs and probably only know about their one album, "The Resistance". That is their only album, right? They've been around since '94? What? It's amazing they've only been able to put together one album in 12 years. ::checks calculator:: Oh, I guess that'd be 16 years.

4. I won't admit I was wrong about the band, but will just state that they rocked. I won't use any details, give too much imagery. I'll just state they rocked. Good enough.

5. I'll then compare them to bands. But, while I list off the names of: Queen, Radiohead and Rush, I'll then make it known that I heard more of U2 last night than the three other bands I mentioned. In fact, Bellamy's voice reminds me a lot of Bono's. I could really see Bono singing that symphony song, whatever it's called and playing that song toward the end, Stockholm, Sweden, or whatever it was called.

6. I'll close the piece by talking about how not everything Muse did was great. I have to prove that I was partially right about the band, having only heard one song of theirs prior to the show. I can't tell my readers that I'm a complete idiot, even though, if they read my writing, they'd probably get that very impression.

7. I'll write one sentence, the closer, about how the band wore Ohio State football jerseys for the final song. That's a nice closer. Anything having to do with the Buckeyes is a nice closer. Alright. Done. Masterpiece.

:LOL::LOL:

Oh and :LOL: at the "review" too.

Aw, bless, it's like reading a kid's review of Disneyland :LOL: 'And then the three shiny men came on and then they played their instruments and it sounded really cool, and then they went up on the platform and then they came down and magic eyes came out :awesome:'.

I love that Morgan's akin to a UFO now, too - 'unidentified (hidden) keyboardist' :ninja:

Aw, bless, it's like reading a kid's review of Disneyland :LOL: 'And then the three shiny men came on and then they played their instruments and it sounded really cool, and then they went up on the platform and then they came down and magic eyes came out :awesome:'.

I love that Morgan's akin to a UFO now, too - 'unidentified (hidden) keyboardist' :ninja:

:LOL:

:LOL: Actually, I think he reviewed a Hanson concert one time, but that's the only other review I've read from the guy.

You serious? :LOL:

I had absolutely no clue what keytar was until it was used in Undisclosed Desires, it's fair enough that the writer explains what it is. This review was not written for this board, after all.

Yeah, it's not the best review, but I don't think it deserves the amount of eye-rolling it seems to get here.

I suppose you have a fair point, but idk, I assumed keytars were common knowledge so... :erm:

You serious? :LOL:

I suppose you have a fair point, but idk, I assumed keytars were common knowledge so... :erm:

Naw, I'm just kidding. BUT, I did stumble upon a couple more reviews by this guy.

Here's one he wrote of a Pearl Jam concert in the past year:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=131006

Here's another he wrote of a John Mayer concert back in March of this year:

http://michaelfranti.com/community/blogs/concert-review-john-mayer-opening-act-franti-outdoes-headliner

I love some of the comments following the Pearl Jam review. :LOL:

Naw, I'm just kidding. BUT, I did stumble upon a couple more reviews by this guy.

Here's one he wrote of a Pearl Jam concert in the past year:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=131006

Here's another he wrote of a John Mayer concert back in March of this year:

http://michaelfranti.com/community/blogs/concert-review-john-mayer-opening-act-franti-outdoes-headliner

I love some of the comments following the Pearl Jam review. :LOL:

I agree with him on the Michael Franti/John Mayer thing. I saw Michael Franti at Vegoose before Muse in 07 = fun and then in 08 before the Cure at Sasquatch. It was actually my favorite show of the day. I think John Mayer is an overrated douchebag and the fact that he loves his penis more than life itself is incredibly pathetic. Plus, most of his songs are sound alike ballads akin to Jack Johnson and that guy who wears the fedora all the time. Boring mindless drivel!

Well that was quite an awful review.

Exactly. :LOL:

I've just discovered another review by this guy, a very recent one where he went to see Nickelback. Take a wild guess what he thought of the show...http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/10/01/nickelback-concert-review.html :LOL:

This is all the explanation needed for that silly 'review'. Why on earth would that newspaper send a N********k fan (ugh, sorry can't even write the name) to a Muse concert? :rolleyes:

This is all the explanation needed for that silly 'review'. Why on earth would that newspaper send a N********k fan (ugh, sorry can't even write the name) to a Muse concert? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. It took me five minutes just to type "Ni" and I then had to call someone over and type the rest of the word, because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Well, it now makes more sense that he's not a Muse fan. He's in love with...that one band.

It's funny, he took a good paragraph (I shouldn't have used a positive adjective to describe it...oh well) to compare Muse with other bands/musicians, Bellamy with Bono in particular. Yet, he could have written an entire review about how songs #1, 3-6, 9, 11-13 and 16-20 of Nickelsuck's set sounded very similar to one another.

There was also a fourth musician on stage, an unidentified keyboardist who was sometimes hidden.

Morgan :LOL:

Not everything Muse did was great, but songs like Supermassive Black Hole, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires, Time is Running Out, Starlight, Plug in Baby and Knights of Cydonia either rocked out or had decent lyrics.

Nice to see that they only took note of the singles. :rolleyes: So UD, Resistance and SMBH were all better than songs like Bliss, Citizen Erased, or Ruled By Secrecy?

Interestingly, the trio — Matthew Bellamy (lead vocals, guitars, piano, keyboards, and keytar – a keyboard/guitar hybrid); Dominic Howard (drums); and Christopher Wolstenholme (bass, backing vocals, harmonica) – began their set with Uprising. A curtain showing men in suits climbing an office staircase dropped, and the trio played the song underneath a huge video screen, on raised platforms that also showed videos or was lighted.

So they're a trio right?

At one point, Howard and Wolstenholme played back to back as the drum kit was raised and rotated.

...yees?

There was also a fourth musician on stage, an unidentified keyboardist who was sometimes hidden.

And?

Each song had a different visual element, while several cameras caught the trio in action. There were videos of the human body, and what looked like neurons, subatomic particle collision trails, computer coding, flight paths on an atlas, people’s faces and other strange scenes.

There's THREE of them?? NO WAI. And yes, thank you dear. You went there, and there was this.

There was one prop you might see at a Flaming Lips concert: huge white balloons with big eyeballs on them that were filled with confetti and dropped on the crowd, who burst them. Muse also used more lasers than I’ve seen at Pink Floyd concerts.

WHAT ABOUT THEM? Is ANY of this a good thing or a bad thing??? GAAAH. :LOL::LOL:

Archived